Development of Science courses out of BSR grants
Under the scheme of promotion of Basic Scientific Research, the College has received grants from University grants Commission New Delhi to strengthen the infrastructure in terms of power supply, water supply, safety equipments, laboratory working tables and upgradation of laboratories etc. for the Departments of Chemistry, Physics, Botany, Zoology and Mathematics. The grant was also effectively utilized for augmenting teaching-learning requirements to strengthen the academic and research activities of the departments. 5% of the grant was utilized for Project Grant and stipend.
Upgradation of laboratories / Lecture halls
- The departments have so far utilized the infrastructure grant for upgrading the laboratories so as to make it safe and convenient for the student usage as well as research purpose.
- For the purpose of safety, old gas pipelines were replaced in the laboratories.
- Working tables in the laboratories are renovated.
- The upgradation involved laying tiles, making worktables, cupboards, painting, providing water and electricity supply, installation of safety equipments, etc. there by creating conducive ambience in the science laboratories for undertaking research.
- BSR grant has also been utilized in renovation of laboratories which have added the provision of adequate space for the installation of equipments and better workspace for students.
- Additional storage racks have been created in the labs for storage.
- To make the teaching and learning process effective a state of art lecture halls with Projector screens, LCD projectors, Ceiling mount kits and allied cables were established which resulted in ICT enabled class room teachings.
With the development of infrastructure of the laboratories and lecture halls, students of both undergraduate and post graduate are getting a quality education.
(Details – Annexure I)
Strengthening of Infrastructure – Upgradation of Laboratory
- All science laboratories are updated with latest equipments to improve research infrastructure
- The equipments are purchased for regular B.Sc and M.Sc for practicals (individual / demonstration) and group projects.
- All the instruments have enhanced the precision in experimentation and have facilitated better transfer of practical skill among the students.
(Details – Annexure II)
Student’s Project Grant:
- To motivate the research culture among students meritorious students are selected for research project grant
- Summer projects have been undertaken by M.Sc Chemistry and Botany students in the important areas such as Organometallic Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry, Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Corrosion Studies Bioremediation, Biofertilizers, Medicinal Botany, Antioxidant activity and Molecular Biology.
- By these summer projects students had a hands on training on instruments like FTIR, UV- Visible Spectrometer, Potentiostat, HPLC, PCR, Gel Doc, Elisa etc.
(Details – Annexure III)
- Candidates pursuing Ph.D. in the current academic year:32
- Ph. D. degree awarded in last five years: 50
- MPhil. candidates registered in the current academic year:107
- MPhil. degree awarded in last five years: 243
- Faculty involved in guiding Research Students: Mphil:81,Mphil &PhD: 38
- Major Research Projects: Completed – 05 Ongoing -10 (funded by UGC, DST, DRDO, ICSSR etc.)
- Minor Research Projects: Completed – 07 Ongoing - 02
- DST-IEDC Projects: Completed – 15 Ongoing – 05
- TNSCST Projects: (Society oriented programme to transfer the technology)Completed-02
- TNSCST Student’s Projects
- National seminars/Conferences Organised: 15/Year
- International seminars/Conferences Organised: 2/Year
(funded by UGC, DST, DBT, CSIR, DRDO, ICSSR, TNSCST, TANSHE, etc.)
- Three Findings have been registered/ Processed for patenting
- On an average 75 Research papers are published in National& International Journals with Impact Factor every Year.
- MoU signed with reputed research institutions to promote research at National & International standards.(Toledo, San Diego & Oregon State University)
- Research Journals Published:
“Advances in Applied Research”-bi-annual Journal launched on 24th June2009
“PRERANA”- bi-annual Journal launched on 16th April2009
- Books Published:16
- Consultancy services are being offered in areas like Vermicompost-Organic manure production, Biodiesel, Statistical analysis, Recording and interpretation of spectral data and Impedence analysis
- The students are provided with a better exposure in practicals in the recent thrust areas of their respective discipline through hands on training sessions.
- The College made the best use of these grants to upgrade the science laboratories thus providing better facilities to the students.
- The students are encouraged to pursue research by providing seed money to meritorious students
- Upgradation and modernisation of the laboratories and lecture halls have very effectively improved the teaching-learning activities for academic upliftment of the students and the faculty.
- Improvement of infrastructural facilities under BSR Grants has enabled us to appraise the students with the latest developments in the field of scientific research. With this infrastructure, the departments have developed research laboratories for students to take up research. Research culture has become a part of the academics of the college.
UGC - BSR grant received
- 2007 - 2008 Rs. 10,00,000
- 2008 - 2009 Rs. 20,00,000
- 2010 - 2011 Rs. 20,00,000
- 2011 - 2012 Rs. 25,00,000
- 2012 - 2013 Rs. 30,00,000